The Interns are in the office for their first day of orientation and I can see the hungry look in the eyes of several colleagues who can’t wait to spread the work load wealth around.
Admittedly, I can’t wait either, but before I transform into the Duke of Delegation, I’m going to take a few personal vows for the semester. Feel free to adopt a few of them yourself.
- I promise to explain to my intern not only the task at hand but also the greater context.
- ** I promise to always say Thank You.
- I promise to resist the urge give my intern a project JUST because I don’t feel like doing it.
- I promise to remember what it was like to be an intern.
- ** I promise to engage my intern in at least one higher-level conversation about their career goals and greater mission in life.
- I promise to provide my intern with regular feedback.
- I promise to take my intern out for coffee or lunch just because.
- I promise to hold my intern accountable and not just gloss over mistakes because they are an intern.
- I promise to keep professional development in mind and teach my intern something valuable.
- **I promise to make an effort to make my intern’s experience BETTER than my own.