Coming out of PodcampDC, I think that the most creative AND useful presentation award goes to Jennifer Berk with her presentation on Content Cross-Promotion. Right in the middle of her presentation, I had the “that’s it!” moment. It’s a little different for everyone. For some, it’s the basic light bulb going off; for me, it’s the ringing bell and music cue when someone wins on the Price is Right! (Minor Disclosure: I love that show and intend to one day play Plinko!)
Ok, so my “that’s it!” moment happened when Jennifer shared her categories of Link Structures with an astronomical theme. They included:
- Nebula: Lots of pieces, not linked together
- Asteroids: Related items but not fully linked
- Solar System: All sites linked to one central place
- Black Hole: Bits of everything featured in one location (blogs,podcast,video,etc.)
- Constellation: Specific links available guiding you along a path
I hope that by now you too are having a “that’s it” moment. I think many of us go about interacting online and creating identities without giving any real thought to how we can strategically link/cross-promote our online content. Out of the five systems mentioned, I think I’m most partial to the Solar System and the Black Hole. Both provide the opportunity for the site visitor to get a snapshot of you and all that you do online.
In everything we do, we should all be thinking about how we can make the stars align.